Saturday, August 16, 2008

This world

 Have you ever had one of those moments when you knew that God put your children in your life to teach you something big. So much of parenting is training and praying and teaching them to do what is right. Then all of a sudden a moment happens and you have this light bulb moment where God teaches you this big concept in just a few seconds. Ok now that I"ve build it up I hope I can write this in a way that you can understand the bigness of it. 

It happened last week when we were on our trip to the North Shore. We had spent two days walking in the woods, throwing rocks in babbling brooks, seeing loud, rushing water falls and being in awe of the giant, blue lake. I remember we were rock hopping through the falls and Lydia said "I like this world" Then later when were wading in the cold water looking for pretty rocks. She said  "Mommy, I love this world" The girl was having a blast and I thought it was cute how she equated this "this place" as a whole new world because she had never seen anything like it. Then as were ending our exploring for one evening we were walking across a rocky beach and Lydia slipped and scraped her foot, her response was a wailing "OOWWWIEE" followed by a disgusted" I hate this world."

In that moment, God laid this huge truth in my head and on my heart and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. So here's the lesson. How many times in my life when everything around me is beautiful, the people, the scenery,  the activities. And when I slip and "fall on the rocks" or one little thing doesn't go right I jump into "I hate this world" I don't like the things around me and I let that be the center of my thoughts instead of the beauty and blessings around me.  So from now on when something doesn't go right I"m going to try to focus on the beauty and blessings around me. Thanks for letting me share what God has been teaching me. 

3 comments:

Tengesdal 4 said...

That's huge... thanks!

Anonymous said...

I think my little girl has grown up, and what a wonderful person she has become. As soon as I read your latest post, I read it to your dad on the phone.

I wasn't going to tell him who wrote it, but even before I got a few lines into it, he knew it was from you!

We love you.

Mom

Anonymous said...

That was a really cool story! I think that it so important that we take time to listen to the lessons He is teaching us and then share them with others. Thank you!

Sarah K